Focus of Unit
To accompany a song using tuned percussion and compose a piece of music using a story as a stimulus which includes a steady pulse and ostinato.
- To sing a song in unison following the shape of the melody;
- To understand songs can be split into verse and chorus;
- To create a 4 beat rhythmic pattern.
By the end of the unit:
- All pupils will be able to sing a song in unison; identify high and low pitch; copy a 4 beat rhythm;
- Most pupils will be able to sing a song in unison following the shape of the melody; show high and low pitch on a score; create a simple 4 beat rhythm;
- Some pupils will have progressed further and will be able to sing a song in unison singing entirely in tune; will be able to create a score for 3 pitches; create a more complicated 4 beat rhythm.
- Goldilocks: Sing and accompany with tuned percussion;
- Composing a piece based on The Gruffalo.
Points to Note
Make sure children don’t confuse pitch (how high or low the frequency of a specific sound might be) with dynamics (how loud and quiet a specific sound might be).
Repertoire & Resources
- Songs, including Goldilocks and the Three Bears;
- The Gruffalo or another favourite story;
- A selection of untuned and tuned percussion instruments.
There are six lessons in this unit: